Saturday, June 8, 2013

A Glamping We Will Go! Part 1


So.

We're trying this camping thing again. Last year's trip was a failure, but we're optimistic that this go-around we (I) will be better prepared.

True to form, I've been in a list making frenzy the last 2 weeks even though we still have an additional 2 weeks before the big trip. I've raided our local Dollar Tree a dozen times and I am convinced that my shopping trips over the last 14 days have targeted me as a total lunatic. I tried to explain to the check-out girl that last year's trip was a disastrous battle and all of this preparation is, in fact, combat related but I don't think she bought it. She just doesn't understand what it is to plan a vacation with this particular thunderous three year old. There is an entire army inside her cute little toddler sized body. An army which is prepared to fight, to defend, and who has been trained to go straight for the jugular. She is a defiant whining machine. When she's good, she's sooo good. But when she's chooses the Dark Side.... I break into sweat when I even think about it.

I'm simply in combat training.

I've been hardened and strengthened.

This camping trip is going to be fun, damn it.

Anyway, The Family Dollar is currently stocked up on Summer supplies. Paying a measly dollar for anything that will be fun, keep her busy, and could possibly get broken or left behind is not so bad. I'd much rather go the cheap route than to buy the exact same thing at Target or Walmart for more money.


The best dollar store camping supplies: Thebrighterwriter.com

1. Glow sticks, glow bracelets, glow wands, glow necklaces, glow hats, glow EVERYTHING. $1
2. Binoculars $1
3. Hand held tent broom $1
4. Magnifying glass with built in tweezers and holding cell for any buggies you may find. $1
5. Antibacterial wet wipes $1
6. Flashlights AND batteries $1
7. Disposable plastic table cloths so if you spill something you can toss it instead of attracting a thousand flies and bees. $1
8. Fly Swatters $1
9. Water guns / squirters $1
10. Beach ball, blow up floaties (assuming you have a lake near by) $1
11. Travel bottles! Transfer your bathroom things like shampoo / conditioner / lotions AND your food condiments like mayo, mustard, ketchup into smaller bottles so they take up way less room in the cooler or bag. $1
12. Freeze packets for cooler. $1
13. All grilling supplies you may need including grill scrubs, metal spatulas, napkins, hot pads/gloves, dish towels $1
14. Playdough that can be thrown away after being rolled around in sand, leaves or dirt. $1
15. Face paint (because it's fun) $1
16. Crayons, blank paper and clip boards to make rubbings of leaves or bark. $1
17. Tap lights to put by Kalynn's bed at night in case she wakes up scared. $1
18. Plastic hair caps to put over food bowls and keep flies out while you eat. $1
19. 3 for $1 mesh laundry bags to keep your filthy clothes seperate from your clean clothes
20. Butterfly (or Daddy's head) catching nets $1
21. Sand toys $1
22. Sidewalk chalk for drawing on trees or rocks or whatever else $1
23. Paper towels, paper plates, toilet paper, and plastic silverware $1

I'm telling you, my husband as well as many of you, may think I'm out of control, but I assure you, this place is amazing.
I've also packed phone books instead of newspaper for fire kindling just because they are compact and it's easy for us to rip out pages as we need them. We bought sturdy Coleman inflatable mattresses with battery operated pump so we don't even have to bother with the roll-up sleeping pads this time around. (What a pain in the ass those were.) I've also discovered that the pump which inflates/deflates our mattresses is perfectly compatible with our Space Bags so bringing pillows, sheets and blankets only take up a quarter of the space in our car. 

Here's our offical 2013 camping list:

Glamping packing list for kids : Thebrighterwriter.com
Laugh if you may, but I've thought of absolutely everything. I've even placed a hold on every children's camping book they have a our local library (which I'll pick up tomorrow) so that I can psych her up for the next two weeks and make sure she's super excited.
I chalked last year up to a great learning experience and one that I did not take lightly. Having an over abundance of things to do and being realistic and smart about the things we need to pack is going to help out tremendously. I don't have the luxury of a constantly well behaved angel of a kid. Don't get me wrong. I love her so much I want to squeeze her tiny little precious head off sometimes but I mean, come on. She's a crazy, energy filled, 3-year-old only child. I need a plan of attack. And a back up plan of attack. And a back up for my back up.

Over reacting, you say? How can a face so cute be so out of control, you say?

Yeah, right.




Over and out.


Want to hear more from me? You can now follow me on Instagram! @thebrighterwriter






.

24 comments:

  1. It will be a Fuller family adventure regardless of how it all turns out. Lots of fresh air, good food, beauty all around and another opportunity to be "foot loose" and "Fancy free"!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an almost 3 yr old, and hes the same way. I know, you'll say no no no i dont understand, but i do. Hes a domestic terrorist when it comes to family fun or anything worth celebrating. This blog was very helpful, and im hitting the dollar tree tomorrow b4 we go this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. domestic terrorist! haha! That's so funny. Good luck and let me know how your camping goes!

      Delete
    2. LOVE IT!!! I raised 4 of those lil darlins by myself and we went every where together, I was their Mommy and their Daddy we camped, we took River Trips, we fished, we Snow Skied and we still do! I married the Love of My Life and gained a Bonus Baby! We now have 5 kids, 10 Grandkids and we still go everywhere! You are doing it right Mama! Get out there and have a ball!

      Delete
  3. Nothing like camping in a state park and having your two year old wake up at 4 in the morning screaming and crying and trying to get her to calm down so she doesn't wake up all the people around us. This doesn't happen to us anymore, she is now 42 years old. We camp by ourselves now. Oh, and with the 2 dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is a great list. I personally have had terrible experiences with Dollar Store flashlights and batteries. I invested in quality flash lights a few years ago and must say it was worth the money.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great List!!!! You forgot one thing... The Food!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been camping all my life so don't come across too many tips I think I will actually implement but I love the phone book idea and the space saver bags. Good to know, we use pillows and blankets because we have littles and they tend to feel more secure sleeping RIGHT next to us. We also don't have to worry about them getting cold in the middle of the night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea! It DOES get freezing up in the mountains!

      Delete
  7. Instead of sleeping bags make sleep sacks out of top sheets. Buy a single top sheet (full for kids, queen for teens and avg adults) fole it in half lenght wise and sew the bottom and 1/3 way up the side to make a sack. Add a pillow and blanket...instant bed only 1 sheet to mess with. Folds easy and compact.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the list. No you are not a lunatic! I use the Dollar Tree, too. However, you only have one, try camping with 4 boys: 7 yr. old triplets and 10 yr. old big brother!!! Don't forget the Ring Pops (4/$1), they make great rewards for good behavior and quiet travel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. As an experienced camper of 50 years (3 kids and now 6 grandkids) here are a couple of thing for you:
    fire starter - toilet paper roll stuffed with dryer lint and roll in small piece of newspaper (way less room $0.00.
    Flashlight and Batteries - buy quality lasts 10x as long
    Science experiments for toddlers - stuff you already have at home (pinterest)
    Nature scavenger hunt for toddlers
    Back up sleeping roll ( 3x inflatable had leaks not fun on the ground)
    Print off free coloring pages of favorite character from pinterest
    Mini plastic pony with hair on tail and brush put in tin can or box with blanket. My granddaughter played with it for hours on end
    bag of lego hours of entertainment.
    pinterest search - (camping hacks, busy bags for toddlers, science experiments for toddlers or kids)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the list, but never forget basics like matches and a lighter olso the cintronella candels are very usefull as foil and they are at dollar store also

    ReplyDelete
  12. A great read, will get some of the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another great product that you can get from The Dollar Tree is those solar cell rechargeable lights. They are great for marking the corners and guy lines of tents or other objects that you may trip over at night. They also make great night lights and have a built in handle for making a late night bathroom break. They are also very handy for window sills around the house in case of a power outage during bad weather.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was very pleased to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.
    charcoal barbecue

    ReplyDelete
  15. I laughed my head off at the first paragraph... this is so my daughter... good to know I'm not alone!

    ReplyDelete