Sunday, March 25, 2012

When Life Hands You Grapefruits...

I have the sweetest grandma ever. She sends bag loads of grapefruits from her backyard with me spring after spring, year after year.

I hate grapefruit.

I've always hated grapefruit.

But I take them, and I love them because I love her,  and I always find something to do with them. Because that's what we do as grandchildren, right? We take the stuff, and we love it.

So anyway, I'm a bartender by trade. I know, deep down to my soul, almost everything has the ability to find its alcohol soulmate counterpart. Turns out, when life hands you grapefruit, you make margaritas.

Behold, my L' Equip Stainless Steel Fruit and Vegetable Juicer:

grapefruit margaritas www.thebrighterwriter.blogspot.com

I juiced the 12 grapefruit along with a handful of strawberries that were left in the fridge from breakfast, added some sugar, and made myself some pink grapefruit juice. If you don't have the homemade juice, Ruby Red Grapefruit juice from the store works just as well. 

The actual recipe is really simple. 1 quart juice, 8 shots tequila (or 9 or 10), 2 shots triple sec. Stir. 

grapefruit margaritas www.thebrighterwriter.blogspot.com

Yes, I have an original Strawberry Shortcake pitcher (I have the matching glasses as well however they were too small for my purposes today). Also, yes there were way more margaritas at the beginning of the day, but I forgot to take the picture until half way through the fiesta. What fiesta? Well, my mom and I decided to celebrate Cinco De Mayo. It's close enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment